Spring is almost upon us and as we start mothballing our winter woollies, naturally thoughts are turning to what we should wear instead. So let’s take a look at the big trends for 2015. Will you be wearing them? Take a look down our list and you’ll be ready to start planning your new season’s wardrobe!
Here’s what the experts are predicting…
- The classic tux – first popularized for women by Yves Saint Laurent, the tuxedo is having a moment – it’s the super stylish way to wear black or white, and totally on message with the whole current 70s vibe.
- Sequins – you might feel you’ve had enough of these little sparklers after the Christmas party season, but believe us when we tell you they’re making a spring comeback! You’ll find them on everything – from skirts and jumpers to t-shirts and trousers.
- Gingham – take a time trip back to the 50s and update your wardrobe with some black and white or red and white checks. You’ll discover everything from cute sun dresses to sophisticated suits and you’ll be able to channel your favourite 50s movie starlet!
- Over-size florals – spriggy little daisies won’t cut it this season – 2015’s flower prints are big, blousy and bold. Lookout for some spectacular statement pieces.
- Head-to-toe white – cool and elegant on a hot day but only recommended if you have neither a dog nor a toddler in your household!
- Shirt dresses – cool and elegant, shirt dresses work for the office and for the weekend – and there are plenty to choose from, long or short, striped, patterned or plain. They make getting dressed in the morning that little bit simpler!
- Khaki – funnily enough khaki is a colour that suits most complexions. Have some fun adding a military kick to your wardrobe or look to a classic parker to protect yourself from the spring showers.
- Yellow – This is my favourite colour this year! unlike khaki, this might not be the colour for everyone, but if you can wear, do! From rich amber to buttery primrose, we’re seeing coats, dresses and blouses in these sunny hues. What works even better with yellow coloured outfits is a bit of a tan to get that perfect contrast and give you the perfect healthy glow.
- Monochrome – to be honest, wearing black and white together never goes out of style but this year there seemed to be even more of it than usual on the cat walk. And what’s not to like? You can wear classic basics and be the height of fashion! What’s different this season are the cuts and shapes. Wear it with an oversized coat to add to the elegant classic look.
- Other trends emerging on the cat walk are : Nautical stripes – always a favourite with the fashion pack, from Bretton tops to stripy palazzo pants. Navy and ecru are the classic but look out for black and white and red and white; and also Polo shirts – for fans of laid back sporty style, polo shirts can be matched with skirts or trousers for an informal vibe that still somehow manages to look smart. The quickest way to look preppy? Team them with a pair of penny loafers and you’re an instant Ralph Lauren girl!
- Something to wear today? Well, one of my favourites is classic black military style coats and classic but with a twist dresses, and of course with boots! I can wear those any day!
And the one we’d advise caution about? Culottes! Wear with care!